The Columns, located on The Hill, are the only remnant of the original Westminster Hall, destroyed by fire in 1909. Two of the most revered Westminster traditions are the fall Convocation when new students enter the campus through The Columns and Commencement when graduating students pass back through The Columns into the world.
The Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Aldermanbury
Twice destroyed by fire, the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Aldermanbury, located at the corner of Westminster Avenue and 7th Street, is part of the Winston Churchill Memorial and Library in the United States. Dating from the 12th century, it was redesigned by Sir Christopher Wren in 1677 after the Great Fire of London. Left in ruins by World War II, the architectural masterpiece was saved from demolition by the bold idea to move it to the Westminster campus where it was reconstructed and restored.
Breakthrough - The Cold War Memorial
One year after the November 9, 1989, fall of the Berlin Wall, President Ronald Reagan dedicated Breakthrough, an 11-foot-high by 32-foot-long structure sculpted from 8 sections of the Berlin Wall by artist Edwina Sandys, granddaughter of Winston Churchill, as the centerpiece of the Cold War Memorial on the Westminster campus. Visitors may view Breakthrough on Latshaw Plaza adjacent to the Churchill Memorial.
Davidson Leadership Plaza
This striking landmark in the center of The Hill is a large fountain plaza with compass point entrances, dappling pools, and anchored with a 8 ft bronze abstract sculpture, The Flight of Leadership. Named for President Emeritus Robert L. D. Davidson, (1955-1973), who was instrumental in bringing the Winston Churchill Memorial and Library to Westminster College, the Plaza was built with a generous contribution from an alumnus. It stands to commemorate Westminster's first 150 years of delivering outstanding education and serves as a catalyst for the next 150 years.
The Aesthetic Stoic
This interesting piece of abstract sculpture in rose marble and Indiana limestone is dedicated to the memory of Distinguished Service Professor and A. P. Green Professor of English Literature Emeritus John W. "Jolly John" Randolph, who passed away in 1981. On the back of the monument is an inscription of the poem, The Aesthetic Stoic, written by Randolph as a young man. The sculpture can be viewed between Westminster Hall and Newnham Hall.
The Isabelle R. Whitmarsh Memorial Garden
Lovingly designed by landscape architect Edith M. Mason of St. Louis, this Memorial Garden nestles next to the south side of the Churchill Memorial on Westminster Avenue It was a gift to the College by T. C. Whitmarsh in honor of Isabelle R. Whitmarsh in 1969,. Some unique features of the garden include the wrought iron fence, patterned after one surrounding the London Churchyard in 1720, and the sundial that dates from 1659.
Swope Chapel Memorial
Swope Chapel was erected at the top of Lamkin Drive in 1917-18 in honor of Margaret Chrisman Swope through the generous contributions of William Chrisman Swope. The Chapel sanctuary was used for the last time at Commencement 1955. The building underwent multiple modifications to maintain structural stability for usable portions of the building until the building was finally vacated in 1966. The stained glass windows have been preserved. Several of the windows have been restored and are displayed at the Development Center on 7th Street and the Mueller Leadership Hall.
The Hess Memorial Gardens
Carl "CB" Brown Hess, son of Alumnus Gary Hess, '71, died March 15, 2003. He was scheduled to join the Westminster Class of 2007 as a business administration major, member of the soccer team and pledge to Sigma Chi when a tragic accident took his life. The gardens south of Lamkin Drive on "The Hill," have been named in his memory.