At least one third of all FAFSA applications will be selected by the Department of Education for verification. Students will be notified that their application has been selected for verification on their Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Department of Education. Financial aid awards cannot be finalized until the Financial Aid Office has completed the verification of your financial aid application. If your application has been selected for verification, please submit the following documents to the Financial Aid Office:
- 2013-2014 Verification Worksheet
I. V1 2013-2014 Verification Worksheet - Standard
II. V2 2013-2014 Verification Worksheet - SNAP
III. V3 2013-2014 Verification Worksheet - Child Support Paid
IV. V4 2013-2014 Verification Worksheet - Completion and Educational Purpose
V. V5 2013-2014 Verification Worksheet - Aggregrate
- Student’s 2012 W-2 Form(s) – only for students who did not complete a 2012 Federal income tax return
- Parents’ 2012 W-2 Form(s) – only for parents who did not complete a 2012 Federal income tax return
- Student’s 2012 IRS Tax Transcript – only for students who completed a 2012 Federal income tax return, paid their IRS tax liability, if applicable, and didn’t use the IRS Data Retrieval Process on the FAFSA
- Parent’s 2012 IRS Tax Transcript – only for parents who completed a 2012 Federal income tax return, paid their IRS tax liability, if applicable, and didn’t use the IRS Data Retrieval Process on the FAFSA
FAFSA Correction Using the IRS Data Retrieval Process
This process is available to the student and/or parent tax filer within 2 weeks after electronically filing your 2012 Federal income tax return (6-8 weeks if the tax return is filed by paper). This is the fastest, easiest and most accurate way to include your final 2012 Federal income tax information on the FAFSA application.
1. Go to www.fafsa.gov.
2. Log into your FAFSA record.
3. Select “Make FAFSA Corrections”.
4. Navigate to the Financial Information section of the form for the student (all students) and parent (dependent students).
5. Follow the instructions to determine if you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer 2012 IRS income tax information into your 13-14 FAFSA.
IRS Tax Return Transcript Request Process
2012 Federal income tax filers (students and parents) who elect not to use the IRS Data Retrieval Process or do not qualify to use the IRS Data Retrieval Process must submit an IRS Tax Transcript to the Financial Aid Office. To request a transcript free of charge from the IRS, select one of the following methods:
1. Go to www.irs.gov
2. In the Online Services Section of the homepage, click on “Order a Tax Return or Account Transcript”.
3. Enter the tax filer’s Social Security Number, date of birth, street address, and zip code. Use the address currently on file with the IRS.
4. Click Continue.
5. In the Type of Transcript field, select “Return Transcript” and in the Tax Year field, select “2012”.
6. If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Transcript in the mail within 5 – 10 days.
1. Call 1-800-908-9946.
2. Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their social security number and the numbers in their street address listed on the latest tax return filed.
3. Select “Option 2” to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and then enter “2012”.
4. If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Transcript in the mail within 5 – 10 days.
1. Go to http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf.
2. Download and complete IRS Form 4506T-EZ.
3. Complete lines 1-4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form. Note that line 3 should be the most current address as filed with the IRS.
4. On line 6, enter “2012” to receive IRS tax information for the 2012 tax year.
5. The tax filers must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number. Only one signature is required to request a transcript for a joint return.
6. Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506T-EZ to the appropriate address (or FAX number) provided on page 2 of Form 4506T-EZ.
7. Tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Transcript in the mail within 5-10 days after the IRS receives and processes the paper request.
Process for Non-Tax Filers
Students and parents who are not required to file a 2012 Federal income tax return must submit copies of their 2012 W-2 forms to confirm income earned from work.