OPT (Optional Practical Training)
Optional Practical Training, or OPT, is an employment benefit of F-1 student status that is generally used after graduation. For more details on OPT, contact the Office of International Student Services.
- Employment must be related to academic area of study, and must be full-time (at least 21 hours per week).
- Requires prior authorization from USCIS (US Citizenship & Immigration Services), and you must have received your Employment Authorization Document before beginning work.
- Must complete Form I-765 for USCIS, and receive a new I-20 from OISS.
- Fee is required (Approximately $380).
Severe Economic Hardship
Benefit available to international students in F-1 status after 1 year. Employment need not be related to academic area of studies.
- Must be able to demonstrate financial need and a change of financial situation since initial I-20
- Requires notification & clearance by DSO and authorization from USCIS
- Must complete form I-765 for USCIS. Application requirement includes written statement by student indicating reasons for request and documents supporting those reasons (i.e. bank statements, affidavits, sponsorship letters, etc.)
- Fee is required ($380)
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS, please do not hesitate to contact the Office of International Student Services, at 573-592-5182, via e-mail, or drop by the office in the Diversity Center (main floor of HAC). We're here to serve you!