The mission of the Peer Health Educator (PHE) program is to actively promote healthy, safe and responsible living on Westminster's campus and in our community. As a PHE you will have the opportunity to learn the most current information on a variety of health related topics important to the life of a college student. This includes alcohol responsibility, nutrition and fitness, tobacco, healthy relationships, stress, mental health issues, violence prevention, eating disorders, and sexual health and responsibility.
Members also receive a comprehensive training and certification through the national BACCHUS Network, a college-health network. This training prepares our PHEs for leadership roles on our campus, including educating them on being effective in the five roles of a peer health educator: a friend, an educator, an activist, a role model, and a team member.
Membership is open to all enrolled students at Westminster College showing themselves to be committed to living a responsibly safe and healthy life, and to promoting that with others.
Being a peer health educator will require attending weekly meetings, designing, organizing and participating in campus-wide awareness activities, and going through the 1 ½ day certification training.
Becoming a Peer Health Educator has many rewards, including:
- Improved leadership and communication skills
- Gaining extensive knowledge about health and prevention on a variety of topics.
- Becoming part of an educated, fun team of students committed to providing accurate college-health information.
- Developing teaching, communication, presentation, and group facilitation skills.
- Attending yearly conferences with other peer health educators from around the nation.
- Leadership studies credit or internship credit is available for students taking a leadership role in the program or attending the certification training.
Check out our campaigns
- Safe Spring Break Programming
- Tobacco Free Programming
- Great American Smoke Out
- Kiss Me I'm Smoke Free
- Butts & BBQ
- Alcohol Responsibility Week
- Be-Wiser Campaign
- Black Out with Us
- Wellness Wednesdays with Fresh Ideas
- Late night pool parties
- Most of Us - Make Healthy Choices
- Sexual Responsibility and Healthy Relationships Week