The Faculty Side: Service-Learning
Faculty Service-Learning Criteria
Recognized: service-learning experiences meet a recognized community need
Reciprocal: service-learning experiences provide a meaningful and reciprocal experience for the student and the identified community organization
Reflective: service-learning experiences incorporate guided reflective activities that further connect course content with the service experiences
Registered: service-learning courses should be registered with the Community Engagement & Service-Learning Office each semester for recognition in the schedule of courses, potential funding and award opportunities
The Benefits of Service-Learning in Higher Education
Students benefit from service-learning by...
Increasing deep learning experiences
Understanding community issues and learn how they can make a difference
Exploring career options and building resume
Developing leadership and communication skills
Connecting service to civic responsibility
Faculty benefit from service-learning by...
Strengthening classroom community and increasing student retention
Connecting the relationship between theory and practice
Allowing for assessment and critical reflection
Reaching multiple learning styles
Teaching values, social justice, and civic responsibility
The Office of Community Engagement & Service-Learning can...
- Serve as a liaison between faculty and community partners
- Handle the logistics of the service component, including:
- Risk management/liability issues
- Share ideas and strategies for course construction and possible partners
- Present to classes on service-learning and participant expectations
- Assessment and evaluation of both community partners and students
- Assistance with grants and funding opportunities
- Provide resources to help with the reflection component
- Help lead reflection
- Work with local media to promote positive publicity
We also have a plethora of support resources, like...
- A library with both general course construction materials as well as discipline specific resources
- Website with support materials, liability forms, and links to other resources
- Access to online resources such as Campus Compact
- Grant and conference presentation opportunities
- Access to example syllabi for your discipline
Inquire with Westminster Fellow of Community Engagement & Service-Learning, Hannah Minchow-Proffitt, 573-592-6213.