Plant Operations Efforts
Plant Operations has taken great care to incorporate sustainability efforts into the daily maintenance of schools grounds.
These maintenance efforts include:
- Green-Seal Certified cleaning products used by Custodial Services
- Pest control methods aligned with Integrated Pest Management practices, using green products
- The use of beet juice salt to melt ice, which is organic and reduces corrosion
- Utilizing cooling tower water treatment via environmentally-friendly tablets
- The use of an electric car for the setup of campus events, campus grounds maintenance, and printing and mail services
- Green-Seal Certified hand soap, toilet tissue, and paper towels used in bathrooms
- Recycling of oil used by campus vehicles and mowing equipment
Westminster College has also made efforts to include sustainability initiatives into its renovation and development plans of school buildings.
These additions include:
- Low-flow shower heads in College-owned student housing
- Campus buildings are heated via high-efficiency boilers
- Heating and cooling scheduled through computerized environmental control systems
- Use of occupancy sensors to utilize energy-efficient lighting
- Use of LED light bulbs
- Classrooms, meeting rooms, and entrance mats made from mostly recycled materials
- Campus roofs have Energy Star rated shingles.