Current Position: Full Professor
Ph.D., History, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 1991.
M.A., West European Studies, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 1984.
B.A., History and German Studies, Tufts University, Medford, MA, 1979.
- Western Civilization I and II
- World History I and II
- African Civilization
- Introduction to International Studies
- Nineteenth Century Europe
- Europe and Africa in the 19th Century
- Europe in the Twentieth Century, 1900-1945
- Europe Since 1945
- World War II
- Nazi Germany
- Modern European Women
- History Through Film
- World War II Through Film
- Modern Germany
- Modern European Jewish History
- European Fascism
- History of Imperialism
- Imperialism in Africa
- World War I
- Europe and Africa, 1850-1918
- From Stettin to Trieste: Central Europe
- International Study Abroad
- President's Award For Teaching Excellence, 2012.
- "Fascism and Regionalism in Alsace," National Identities, June 2010.
- "Fascism as a Transnational Movement: The Case of Alsace," Contemporary European History, 2012.
- "Autonomy or Colony: The Politics of Alsace's Relationship to France in the Interwar Era," in: Views From the Margins: Creating Identities in Modern France, Kevin J. Callahan and Sarah A. Curtis, eds., Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2009.
- Review Article: "Are the Gatekeepers of MemoryAwake?" Patterns of Prejudice, July 2001.
- Between the Swastika and the Cross of Lorraine: Fascisms in Interwar Alsace, DeKalb, IL: Northern Illinois UniversityPress, 1999.
Current Teaching/Research Interests
Teaching: Transnational Studies; World and Western History; African History
1940s: The Pivotal Decade, ongoing book project; Germans in Southwest Africa, Fascism; African History.
Married to Dr. Judith Goodman; two children
Interests: Tennis, Mountaineering, Art-pastel and drawing