Center for Engaging the World
You will be introduced to Asia (the people, the culture, and places) and you will experience a college-level course in Asian Studies. The course may be taken for optional college credit. This is a five-day experience on the beautiful and historic Westminster College campus in Fulton, Missouri (where American presidents and world leaders speak, including Sir Winston Churchill-who spoke in 1946). You will also study the Chinese language. You might interact with visiting high school students from China (and you will meet college students from Asia, Africa, and other continents) and there will be lots of fun including the summer Blue Jay evening program (swimming, movies, evening leadership speakers, free time, etc), day guest speakers, and field trips. You will enjoy the fine food as well.
David McDermott '15 attended the first Asian Summer Experience in July 2011. The experience impacted him tremendously:
"The Asian Summer program really made my passions grow as I learned, lived, and excelled at Westminster. It was well worth the money for the wealth of knowledge, student interactions, and excitement I received. The staff were fun and informative, meeting international students and listening to their stories or eating out with them was an amazing opportunity, and the friends I made I still talk with today. I can't recommend it enough." -David McDermott '15
Dr. Carolyn Perry, Vice President for Academic Affairs & Dean of Faculty, recently gave a radio interview discussing the Asian Summer Experience - listen to the interview here.
2012 Asian Summer Experience at a Glance
- When: July 15 - July 20, 2012
- Tuition/Fees/Room/Board: $500
- 1 College Credit (optional): $50
- Faculty: Professor Henry Landry (lead faculty member) and others
Core Topics Covered*
- China as a growing power today
- Japan and the aftermath of the 2011 tsunami
- Middle Eastern revolutions of 2011 and beyond
- Politics, economics, and culture
- Asia and the United States
Practical Experience and Learning*
- Study with Westminster College faculty
- Engage in discussions with visiting Chinese high school students and experts on Asia
- Experience simulations similar to Model United Nations in class
- Field trips
- 9:00-11:00 AM Asian Studies class with Professor Landry and visiting leaders, experts, speakers
- 11:00-12:00 PM Class work time/study time
- 12:00-1:00 PM Lunch
- 1:00-3:00 PM Chinese language study
- 3:00-5:00 PM Activities
- 5:00-6:00 PM Dinner
- Evening: Summer Blue Jay Evening Program: Movies, swimming, speakers, etc.
*some topics, schedules, activities are subject to change.
Download the Application
Westminster College is focused on building leaders in a global community. We are passionate about our mission to allow students, like you, to lead lives of success, significance and service. A non-refundable deposit of $150 is due by June 15, 2012 in order to hold your place in the program. The Asian Summer Experience will be a wonderful learning and leadership opportunity and it will look very good on your resume as you prepare to enter college.
For More Information:
Contact Dr. Kurt Jefferson, Director, Center for Engaging the World Summer Programs, Westminster College, 501 Westminster Avenue, Fulton, MO 65251-1299 O: 573-592-5266