Men's Tennis Named SLIAC Tournament Champions!
Athletic News - Tennis(M)
The Westminster Men's Tennis team won their 12th St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SLIAC) Championship match with their 5-2 defeat over Webster University Saturday night. The Webster Gorloks were ranked number one in the SLIAC heading into the tournament.
After the doubles round, the Westminster Blue Jays led 3-0. Westminster's Tyler Wollmershauser and Steven Yob shutout their competition at #2 Doubles, 8-0. The Blue Jays' other two duos battled to 9-7 victories in doubles action, with Tony Stephenson and Anthony Becker at #1 Doubles and Alec Belden and Kyle Tolbert at #3 Doubles.
Webster managed to get two match points with victories at #2 and #5 Singles. Diego Alarcon defeated Becker in the #2 spot, 6-3, 6-0, while Ricky Eaves won 6-1, 7-6 (7-5) over Yob at #5 Singles. Westminster secured the victory with wins at #1 and #3 Singles. Stephenson defeated Webster's Francissco Cortez 7-6 (3), 6-3, at #1 Singles, and Wollmershauser won 2-6, 6-3, 6-0 over Agustin Villalba.
Westminster defeated #6-seed Eureka College, 5-0, in the opening round of tournament play to advance. The Blue Jays then defeated second-seeded Principia College, 5-2, to advance to the tournament championship.
The Blue Jays end their season 9-10 overall and 3-2 in SLIAC play.
Westminster College 5, Webster 2
Apr 26, 2013 at Belleville, Ill. (Kings Pointe Tennis Club)
1. Tony Stephenson (WCMTEN) def. Francissco Cortez (WUMT) 7-6 (3), 6-3
2. Diego Alarcon (WUMT) def. Anthony Becker (WCMTEN) 6-3, 6-0
3. Tyler Wollmershauser (WCMTEN) def. Agustin Villalba (WUMT) 2-6, 6-3, 6-0
4. Alec Belden (WCMTEN) vs. Travis Blair (WUMT) 7-6 (6), 5-4 unfinished
5. Ricky Eaves (WUMT) def. Steven Yob (WCMTEN) 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Kyle Tolbert (WCMTEN) vs. Josh Sellmeyer (WUMT) 2-2 unfinished
1. Tony Stephenson/Anthony Becker (WCMTEN) def. Francissco Cortez/Agustin Villalba (WUMT) 9-7
2. Tyler Wollmershauser/Steven Yob (WCMTEN) def. Travis Blair/Ricky Eaves (WUMT) 8-0
3. Alec Belden/Kyle Tolbert (WCMTEN) def. Diego Alarcon/Josh Sellmeyer (WUMT) 9-7