Phi Delta Theta
Missouri Beta Chapter
Founding Year: 1848
Chapter Founded: 1880
Symbols: Sword & Shield
Colors: Blue & White
Beta Chapter Website
To truly understand the history of the chapter you must go back to 1866, the year Westminster College first went in to debt. Rev. Robert Morrison, D.D., came to
Missouri in 1876 as a pastor. On June 15, 1879 he was called by the Trustees to become the financial agent of the college. He accepted and moved to Fulton. The story goes that Morrison never received a donation of over $150 but by the fall 1881 his work helped liquidate the College debt of more than $14,000.
“Founder Robert Morrison was largely responsible for founding Missouri Beta. He was fiscal agent for Westminster College and it was through his influence that Missouri Alpha Phis investigated Westminster. S.H. Kelly, and G.S. Rathbun of Missouri Alpha visited Fulton, in April of 1880. They met W.B.C. Brown and initiate him April 17. They then gave him a copy of the Bond and commissioned him to initiate five other students. April 24, H.W. Davis, was initiated, May 1 S.W. Yantis, May 14 J.A. McCoy and S.D. Chaney; and May 21, C.W. Chambers. These men signed an application for a charter, which was granted by the National Convention October 27, 1880” From Six at First.
Phi Delta Theta was first to have a chapter house at Westminster. This house was established in the Fall of 1901 and was the J. E. Watson house at the corner of Main and Ninth St.Several houses served briefly until 1915 when the Hamilton house was purchased and was used until 1926. As a side note, William B. Whitlow, a Westminster Phi Bond 202, and his wife spent a summer in the house and had a son in the house, William C. Whitlow, Westminster Phi Bond 560.
The current chapter house was built in 1926-1927 and first used in the fall 1927. The house, land, fixture, and furniture totaled $45,805.15. The house was built by the Cochran Construction Company, Charles H. Cochran was the owner. Cochran was as Westminster Phi, 346, and brother in law to William B. Whitlow, 202, the grandfather of our House Corporation President. The house is the third oldest building on campus. Only the Aldermanbury church and Westminster hall are older. Just after the completion of the house the College Presidents house, know known as Washington West, was finished on the hill and the historic Westminster Gym was complete in 1928. There are exactly 100 steps on the property. The house has seen many changes in it’s days. The Scoop, was once a boiler room with a cool fire furnace to heat the house. Someone would have to “scoop” coal into the furnace during the night to keep it going, and the house warm. The additions of a kitchen and a small fire in the early ‘90s also mark changes in the house. In the summer of 2013 the chapter house began major renovations funded by generous Missouri-Beta alumni,
The men of Phi Delta Theta ascribe to three cardinal principles: Friendship, Sound Learning, and Moral Rectitude.
Philantrhopy: ALS Association and Iron Phi http://support.ironphi.org/site/PageServer?pagename=About